Sunday, March 9, 2008

chilling night, treats and a broken string

It was the 2nd last day of my US stay... It was about 2 treats and a for-a-while last game of tennis and some memories to cherish..
the last 24 hours have been eventful. Yesterday out of the blue I though I should go out after dinner, who willingly agreed.. we were undecided on the destination - either seaport or times sqr.
We seemed to have decided on Times sqr and took the 33rd stt train. As it reached Hoboken, I thought that I had never been here before (except) when on the way to walmart.
So I asked Apoorv if he was ok with the idea and he was. So off we went the train and to territory unexplored. (This does not compensate the fact that I never visited the statue of Liberty (SoL) but atleast went 1 place I had not been to). It was cold but bearable. But the wind was pushing the bearable part to the very extreme extent. the NY skyline view was good, and the place though not much different from the riverwalk on newport-exchange place side was still worth 1 visit..we clicked a few pics before the chilling wind made it impossible to be there.
Back to the house before daylight saving took effect, there was virtually no chance of an SoL visit.
In the morning after giving 1 of the umpteenth final touch to packing and having spent a few min on calls, me & Apoorv went to Souvanik's place. They had cooked excellent food with so much variety.. it was truly amazing how she'd have worked to get it ready by12/1. Must have really got up early and that too when they were out last night. Food was tasty too, especially palak & aloo.. It was sucha pity that so much of it was left after we finished :(
I & Anirudha had decided on a tennis game and with this heavy a stomach really it was a bit difficult, but I had decided to go ahead.. Soon Andy called and I had to bid one of the first goodbyes... It was nice knowing Souvanik & Firoza (more so when we meet them together, they make you realize how well they compliment each other and how important in life is to find a right life partner).. Thanks once again Firoza and Souvanik.. it was amazing... I wish I had spent more time after lunch.. it was kind of mean of me..
The game of tennis started bad.. my forehand was not working well and couple that with my weak weak backhand.. I lost 0 set to Andy.. took a break as Andy practiced with Apoorv and then I too practiced with Apoorv.. My old racquet I suspected was well beyond its best b4 date.. and at 0-2 receiving serve the string broke.. it was fitting that it broke on the last day.. more or less symbolizing the end of a period.. Arijit's racquet was much lighter, newer & obviously expensive. It made me feel better not enough to win the next 2 sets, but being competitive..
Again.. Thanks to Andy for coming down 35 miles for this..
at the end of it all was a treat from a mix of my project team members/leads and my current depleted list of roomies. The food was nice though I did not have the appetite to really feast on it :)
There are times in life which you cherish and some which you remember for a long time.. today was 1 such day.. I felt that hopefully I touched some lives in a positive way.. I would like to re-affirm that I was not as good as the farewell speaches and goodbye words seem to make. But maybe it was that I fitted into this over the last 2 years 3 months.. and became a part of and possibly these were different people's ways of acknowledging the same. Maybe at certain times I will be missed. However happy I maybe to go back, I will miss the people here and would always remember this stay with a smile.

No comments: